Ihsan

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Off To The Progressive Sin Bin!

Around 2 years ago, I was kicked out of a yahoogroup moderated by various Canadian unrecontructed Marxists masquerading as Islamic activists. It was a so-called 'progressive muslim' yahoogroup led by Tarek Fattah, one of the world's biggest fans of Zulfikar Ali Bhutto (yes, even bigger than his comrade Tariq Ali!).

In those days, I had just started writing for MuslimWakeUp!, and was encouraged in my controversy-spraying by my good brother Ahmed Nassef. I have never met Ahmed, and he has never met me. But in our e-mail exchanges, it seemed we clicked almost immediately.

Ahmed encouraged me to explore tough issues. I thought I would get tougher, seeing of I could out-hot him. I succeeded.

I submitted an article which I entitled "God's Own Whores". Ahmed had to edit and tone it down to "God's Whores". He also toned down other submissions but kept sending me responses he had received from readers.

Those were my progressive heydays. I was like the pinup boy of the Muslim Left. And what made me even ideologically sexier is that I was a social conservative!

Now, of course, MWU has moved onto bigger and sexier things. And my socially conservative views have proven to be too radical once again. So recently, when I tried submitting something to MWU on their comments board, I received the following response ...

MWU!
Comment Submission Error
Your comment submission failed for the following reasons:
You are not allowed to post comments.

I guess my pinups are now being used at Progressive Muslim Meet-ups to play "pin the tail on the traditional Islam donkey". Or perhaps they wish to cook my flesh and make smelly kebabs out of it. Either way, it all makes for a few good chuckles.

5 comment(s):

  • by they way, Fatah has also moved on to "bigger and better" things... maybe you should try that e-mail group again... he is no longer around... Fateh now has a more exclusive club, complete with their own shahadah.

    You first take the shahadah upon joining that club, and then you are closely interrogated by Fatah himself about your credentials. And then if you slip somewhere --- you will be considered an imposter --- and will be asked

    "what are you doing in this club --- who let you in?"

    And then you will be made to recite their shahadah again just to make sure you are still one of them.


    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/19/2005 02:06:00 AM  

  • Salaams

    I've just asked MWU if they want me to review Satrapi's latest book. I'll let folks know how it goes...

    Wasalaam

    Yakoub


    By Blogger Julaybib, at 6/19/2005 04:51:00 AM  

  • wow... so many sour grapes over here.

    Are you guys obsessed with MWU! or what?? If you don't like it so much, don't send them articles, don't read it, and don't leave comments on it.

    Best wishes in finding an identity of your own.


    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/20/2005 10:15:00 PM  

  • Salaams

    The implication is that a WEBSITE (and the views expressed therein) can be construed as a facet of one's identity. Which is the best argument for subjecting it to sustained criticism I can think of.

    I mean, Q-News actually published my letter explaining how I had slagged off one of their editors for quoting Chairman Mao in The Observer and THEN invited me to write for them.

    Spot the difference.

    Wasalaam

    The Muslim Anarchist


    By Blogger Julaybib, at 6/22/2005 08:45:00 AM  

  • Salaam - Yakoub, yes --- the issue here is that PMUMWU insist on presenting themeselves as the voice of "progressive muslims" - but that "voice" is totally restricted to their own identity/definitions.

    It is like they've created a brand new sect complete with their own beliefs and definitons. And if you don't fit into those definitons, or (worse) criticize them, then you just don't belong to that group. So, in this respect they are horribly sectarian. And are well on their way to becoming fossilized in their thinking --- exactly what they are supposedly "opposing..."


    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/22/2005 01:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home