Ihsan

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

A Planet Breaks Down and Weeps

Today, on Muharram 7, 1426, as the Kyoto Protocol becomes law, I mourn as my planet mourns.

I mourn because those who did everything they could to defeat the Kyoto Protocol have not been defeated. Far from it! The petrochemical industries, the corporate monsters, the governments whining for compensation for loss of oil revenues, the politicians of all persuasions whose desire for power numbs their consciences, the celebrities and self-serving technocrats who perpetuate the lie that global warming, or the human role in global warming, are myths – they are still intent on maiming the biosphere.


I mourn because the leading opponent of truth and justice - the United States government and its allies – remains outside the protocol. I mourn because, even though the Bush administration withdrew from the Kyoto Protocol in 2001, it continued to work on behalf of its friends in the fossil fuel industry to derail the treaty. I mourn because the most powerful nation on planet Earth is run by murderers, fanatics and crooks.

I mourn because most of the affluent people living in the global north are still living in the stone age. Like cave men, they concern themselves with immediate problems, with little sense of the long term impact of their actions. The still distant impending disaster of global warming, and the even more distant bulk of its victims – the poor of the global South – are not part of their illusion they call reality. Only God knows many of these sleeping primitives have died before their death.

I mourn because the Kyoto itself, if implemented to the letter, will only have a minimal effect on the changing climate.

I mourn because, if we let the bad guys win this time round, humanity will be forced to wake up to its place in the ecosphere the hard way. Are we monkeys or humans?

This is why I mourn this Muharram.

2 comment(s):

  • Salaam, thank you for this reminder - it is so sad, that even such a mild prescription such as the Koyoto Protocols is unacceptable to the United States! What worries me is the more drastic measures we will have to end up taking in the not so distant future.

    Today's counterpunch had this website featured:

    World view of global warming


    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/16/2005 06:47:00 PM  

  • Well said! But I mourn because I see our countries (Asian, Muslim), adopting industries and ways that we know cause harm. I mourn because we see the disasters that the so called 'advanced nations' have suffered due to their 'technology' (Chernobel, Love Canal, Black Forest), yet we heedlessly adopt these same technologies in our own countires, 'backhome'. I mourn because much of the brain power behind much of this technology has one of our (Asian) names behind it. How many of us question what the results of the techmology we work on will be?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/19/2005 07:48:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home