Ihsan

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

That Day

The image “http://almusawwir.org/haitischoolgirl.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

That day when her tears set the lantern alight
I stepped in her darkness and my Self afire

That day when her sight set my wings aloft
I soared in her silence and my tongue-tied

That day when in her eyes my courage drown
I drank her wine and lost all of my Self drunk

That day when her words my soul’s crown
I was enchained and my guilty Self on trial

That day when her moans set my eyes' sun
I was burnt and my wide eyed Self so blind

That day when she died and angels left numb
I was dead but my arrogant Self pressed on


The photograph is of an 8_year_old AIDS orphan who is often sick and too weak to attend school. Her grandmother has depleted her business capital and savings to provide medical care for the girl, who is likely to die before she reaches her teens. Carlos Brito / UPI Photo Service .

The poem is by a guest contributor Dara, she has a wonderful website of poetry, including many that are dedicated to people living with AIDS. Dara is also encouraging musicians to produce for people living with AIDS:

"Two Iranian musicians in their early 20s composed this beautiful performance for our beautiful Haitian 8-year old, their band is called Good Persian Boyz. This is an experimental music for Persian Kamancheh and Indian Tabla in Esfahan mode and Kaharba rhythm (8 beats). If you listen carefully to the violin like instrument (Kamancheh) you hear THAT DAY WILL COME which means the day will come when we will finally meet that Divine Beloved."

Click here to listen to this beautiful piece Alhamdulillah

For those interested, we have a couple of articles on Muslims and AIDS here on our Ihsan blog.

HIV and AIDS: Positive Muslims

and

Muslims and AIDS



1 comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home