Ihsan

Sunday, December 11, 2005

A Prayer for those in Iraq

As we wait, both for news about the CPT activists taken hostage in Iraq and for peace and justice for the people of Iraq, which at times seem so far away ...

From Sahifa al-Kamilah, the Supplications of Imam Ali-ibn al-Husayn

His Supplication in Distress and Seeking Release


My God, let not my enemy gloat over me and torment not my dear kinsman or friend through me!

My God, of Thy glances, give me one glance, and thereby remove from me that by which Thou hast afflicted me and return me to the best of Thy customs with me! Respond to my supplication and the supplication of him who devotes his supplication sincerely to Thee, for my power has become frail, my stratagems few, my situation severe, and I despair of what is with Thy creatures, so nothing remains for me but hope in Thee!

My God, surely Thy power to remove that in which I dwell is like Thy power in that with which Thou hast afflicted me! And surely the remembrance of Thy acts of kindliness comforts me and hope in Thy showing favour and Thy bounty strengthens me, for I have not been without Thy favour ever since Thou created me.

And Thou, my God, art my place of flight, my asylum, my protector, my defender,

the loving toward me, the compassionate, and the guarantor of my provision. In Thy decree lay what has settled upon me and in Thy knowledge that to which I have come home.

So, my Patron and Master, place within that which Thou hast ordained, decreed, and made unavoidable for me, my well-being and that wherein lies my soundness and my deliverance from that in which I am!

I hope for none to repel this other than Thee, and I rely in it only upon Thee.

O Possessor of majesty and munificence, be with my best opinion of Thee!281

Have mercy upon my frailty and the paucity of my stratagems, remove my distress, grant my supplication, ease me from my stumble, and show kindness to me in that and to everyone who supplicates Thee! My Master, Thou hast commanded me to supplicate and undertaken to respond,282 and Thy promise is the truth in which there is no failing, nor any change.283

So bless Muhammad, Thy prophet and servant, and the pure, the Folk of his House, and help me, surely Thou art the help of him who has no help and the stronghold of him who has no stronghold, while I am the distressed the response to whom and the removal of evil from whom Thou hast made obligatory!284

So respond to me, remove my concern, relieve my gloom, return my state to the best it has been, and repay me not according to what I deserve, but according to Thy mercy which embracest all things,285 O Possessor of majesty and munificence! Bless Muhammad and the Household of Muhammad, hear, and respond, O All-mighty!

1 comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home