Ihsan

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Giving = Communism

A few days back, the ACLU released a bunch of FBI documents they got through the Freedom of Information Act. A lot of interesting stuff you can check out by clicking here.

But it was this particular comment by an FBI agent that caught my eye:

“the Catholic Workers advocated peace with a Christian and semi-communistic ideology.” In another document, an agent writes, “Based on the author’s interpretation of comments made by various CWG protestors, CWG also advocates a communist distribution of resources.”


Well, it so happens, that along with being a (non-moderate) Muslim (howz that for an adjectivized Islam?) I happen to have lived and worked with Catholic Workers for a number of years. Here in Oakland, and in El Paso, TX/Ciudad Juarez, Mexico (this one not specifically Catholic Worker, but close enough).

You can learn all about the history of Catholic Workers here.

However, I think what is going on here is more like this:

When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." Dom Helder Camara, Brazilian archbishop (died Aug. 27th, 1999)


0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home