Ihsan

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Imam Ali

Ya Allah, accept my excuse, have mercy on the severity of my affliction, and
free me from my heavy fetters (Dua Kumayl)


Imam Ali was born on the 13th of Rajab

Maulana Rumi in the Mathnawi (Nicholson translation, pg. 509) says:

For this reason the Prophet, who labored with the utmost zeal (in devotion) applied the name "protector" (mawla) to himself and to Ali

He said, "My cousin Ali is the protector and friend of every one who is under my protection."

Who is the "protector"? He that sets you free and removes the fetters of servitude from your feet

Since prophethood is the guide to freedom, freedom is bestowed on true believers by the prophets.

Rejoice, O community of true believers: show yourselves to be "free" as the cypress and lily.

But, like the garden, at every moment give unspoken thanks to the Water.

The cypresses and green orchard mutely thank the water (that nourishes them) and show (silent) gratitude for the justice of Spring


Click here for Shaheed Allama Mutahhari's discourse on Imam Ali, and spiritual freedom.


1 comment(s):

  • I think most Sunni muslims these days only remember the prophet's birthday. Perhaps it is time we send out reminders so we wud also remember other important dates.
    I wud certainly add 13 Rejab to my 'Remember This Date'list.


    By Blogger InaOK, at 8/19/2005 07:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home