Ihsan

Friday, February 25, 2005

Triple Talaq to Europe

In the Name of Allah.

On this day, Muharram 16, 1426, I hereby pronounce my divorce from Europe. I say no to subjugation, no to assimilation, no to integration.

Europe, you struggle to bind my wrists and ankles to yours, to make me your shadow. I am the evil Pilate/pilot, a shadow of your pretence that no terrorism is or has ever been committed by you. The dead in Afghanistan are invisible. The murdered in Falluja forgotten. The children starved to death under sanctions in Iraq never were. I am the primitive who believes in God, the fool who thinks The Creator should be the source of human values, not politicians or intellectuals or patriarchal laws. I count the dead as they pass through my heart.



Europe, I step out of your shadow and a light shines so bright you cannot even look me in the face. I am calling on humanity to revolt! I say, ‘Never shall there be peace! Never shall there be peace! Never shall there be peace!’ I say this, because there cannot be peace unless there is justice. You think this justice is law? No, Europe!! This justice comes from human awakening – from faith, learning, from making people like poppies growing in the sun: kind, fragile and transient. Now I am divorced from your subjugation.

Europe, you desire to make me your failed apprentice. You look upon me as the effeminate sadist, the undeserving victim. As long as I stand out from the crowd, my presence here is unwelcome. You try to act like you have always been here, and always will be. The woman making garments in China is a palimpsest, her suffering erased by the photo-feature of thy perfect consumer; the computer game builds cities while desperate peasants cut and burn pristine rain forest; the coiffured toddler sips crude oil through his blue and white striped straw and spits it into the dark sea.

Europe, you have invented a magic blender, where white and black boil coldly together and come out white. Now I know the secret ingredient – bleach. You want the world to poison itself. You want me to mimic a culture where people destroy their own souls instead of themselves. You neglect the sick, the old, the disabled, and then invite celebrities to help them until even God shudders at their bogus charity. I am a Muslim, Europe. Now I am divorced from your assimilation.

Europe, you desire to make me your friend. You whisper in my ear, “Yakoub, we are all in this together, we are made of the same flesh and blood. Here, sit down, let’s sort out our differences amicably.” But I don’t need to borrow the language you stole from us. I don’t need to know the words that clever cheat Descartes copied from the Arab philosophers. The doubt you used to chip away at the old facades has turned grey and now it feeds off itself, a shrinking snake. It has become reason’s enemy.

Europe - shut up! Shut your stupid, ugly mouth for just one minute. Be silent in your head! It’s your turn to listen, now. You’ve had your Empire. The God you no longer believe is not the God I believe in. The death you try to forget is not the one I long for. Let Islam be your teacher, now. Let the small conquer the great. Let the journey begin. We are monkeys, Europe, all of us, but we could be human, if only you would become the classroom instead of the teacher. Now…

Allah knows better.

6 comment(s):

  • very nice macha Allah

    By Blogger The DP, at 2/25/2005 09:08:00 AM  

  • Thank you! very good article --- enjoyed it... we are the shadow side of the empire --- all of the "evil" stuff is projected on Muslims...

    Altaf


    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/27/2005 01:47:00 PM  

  • Beautifully written. Europe is indeed a soul-sick civilisation. But I don't understand why so many muslims who despise Europe strive to live there. I can only assume that they're hypocrites, enjoying the lifestyle (and govenment handouts) while cursing the source. What am I missing?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/28/2005 07:58:00 PM  

  • Salaams

    I wrote this in response to repeated calls by a leading international journalist and academic currently working in Europe (though not born here) for greater Muslim integration. It is, thus, a reactionary statement.

    My piece reflects the dark side of Europe, particularly its lack of insight into or action on widespread racist and neocolonial attitudes.

    In the UK right now, for example, the major political parties are fighting an election campaign where each is trying to outdo the other in its negative attitude to immigrants and asylum seekers. This is nothing short of pandering to popular racism.

    Unless these attitudes are robustly challenged and defeated, I fear integration is impossible.

    Wasalaam

    Yakoub


    By Blogger Julaybib, at 3/01/2005 05:40:00 AM  

  • Salaams

    I wrote this in response to repeated calls by a leading international journalist and academic currently working in Europe (though not born here) for greater Muslim integration. It is, thus, a reactionary statement.

    My piece reflects the dark side of Europe, particularly its lack of insight into or action on widespread racist and neocolonial attitudes.

    In the UK right now, for example, the major political parties are fighting an election campaign where each is trying to outdo the other in its negative attitude to immigrants and asylum seekers. This is nothing short of pandering to popular racism.

    Unless these attitudes are robustly challenged and defeated, I fear integration is impossible.

    Wasalaam

    Yakoub


    By Blogger Julaybib, at 3/01/2005 05:41:00 AM  

  • Oh, this way to talk of "Europe", "Islam"... We are billions people who like and feel and think good things in some ways of some Muslims and bad things sometimes (who is perfect ?) ; and good things in some european ways and bad things sometimes...
    Let's make sing the God's Word in Islam as everywhere He sings, by making our faith and our exemples stronger than ignorance and hate.
    I'm european born, I'm not Europe.
    Please read about Descartes :
    "...and, therefore, it is at least so sure that God, who is this so perfect being, is or exists, that none geometrical demonstration could be."
    In 'Discours de la méthode', 4° part.


    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/06/2005 09:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home