Ihsan

Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Conservative students, liberal profs

Kris Wampler was one of three students who sued the University of North Carolina over a requirement that incoming students read the Quran before coming to campus. Read on...

2 comment(s):

  • Salaams

    When it comes to radical conservative students, I think it's only a matter of time before Al-Azhar and the local Madrassas suffer the same fate as American Universities.

    Imagine the complaints: "Listen, Mr Mujtahid, or whatever your name is. Yusuf al-Qaradawi's 'Beyond Rejection and Extremism' is liberal rubbish, and we don't want to read a word of it. Just give us something less biased, like the collected anti-Western Fatwas of Saudi Arabia and OBL's speeches. Alright, I suppose Ibn Wahhab is acceptable, but just don't mention his brother! And while we are on the topic of curriculum, I've heard discussion classes are an option this year. We want nothing but rote learning round here, is that clear? Discussion is just another word for gossip, and that's for women - and we'll have pork chops on the menu before suffering anything female on campus, thank you very much!"

    Don't even mention Michael Sells to these Madrassa pupils, by the way! Or they'll be flying aircraft into minarets!

    Wasalaam

    Yakoub


    By Blogger Julaybib, at 12/29/2004 06:30:00 AM  

  • This is just odd to me. I admit there must be some sort of line between academic freedom and academic indoctrination, but at the same time I don't see student-led syllabi coming up any time soon-- it doesn't quite make sense to me at all.

    I've had many philosophical disagreements with my professors over the years, including my last Womens Studies professor as he saw me as being representative of religion in general. I'll tell you one thing, though-- I got an A+ in his class and was his best student, and not through any sort of intimidation or butt kissing on my part-- it was by my sheer stubborness that I stuck with it and excelled. In the end, I realized that I had learned a LOT and synthesized many pieces of information which I still use today.

    Now if I had bitched and sued him over his class readings, I would never have gained that-- I would have lost.


    By Blogger Leila M., at 12/29/2004 06:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home